Thursday, March 10, 2011

Erin Go Bragh, everybody - Corned Beef and Cabbage

It's almost St. Patrick's Day! Everyone always assumes I'm Irish. My name is Erin. My hair is red, (um..yeah). But,
I'm not Irish. I'm Polish, with some English and the teeniest bit of Irish thrown in for good luck. Doesn't matter, I love
Corned Beef and Cabbage. So does my much more Irish husband. We'd have it once a week for the entire month 
of March if it was up to him. Sometimes we do!

This first recipe is from my friend Robin. It is AWESOME! And easy, you cook it in the crock pot. Get ready for 
your house to smell amazing.

Apple & Brown Sugar Corned Beef 

Ingredients:
2 1/2 Pound(s) - 3 pound corned beef
3 medium quartered potato
1/2 Pound(s) baby carrot
1 medium cut into chunks onion
4 Cup(s) - 4 1/2 cups, enough to cover apple juice (I've done Apple Cider as well)
1 Cup(s) brown sugar
1 Tablespoon(s) mustard (I usually double the mustard as we like it a little spicier)
2 Teaspoon(s) minced garlic
1/2 Teaspoon(s) black pepper

Directions: 
Place meat, potatoes, carrots, and onion in 6 quart slow cooker.
Combine next 5 ingredients and pour into slow cooker. Cover. Cook on high 6 - 6 1/2 hours or low 10-12 hours or until veggies and meat are tender. When serving, pour excess juice from the crock pot over the top of beef and vegetables. 

The next two, (actually three) recipes, I haven't tried yet, and am having a horrible struggle deciding which one to make for the big day..


In any case, it'll be corned beef for dinner!

Do you have any tried and true Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes? I'd love to hear about them!

Happy Corned Beef-ing!  (That doesn't sound right.)

p.s. I apologize for any weird formatting. The blog is having a temper tantrum it seems. I needs a time-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment