Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving Countdown: Sides (part 1)

Stay with me people. This mama is SICK. I know, I was sick before. But then I got a little better. But now I got a little worse. My head isn't in the game, I'm sorry. But I don't want any of you to start freaking out about not having any food to go with the rest of your awesome meal. Make one or two or however many, of these awesome potatoes, roots and squashes, and you'll be good to go. 


Delicious Creamy Mashed Potatoes from The Pioneer Woman 
I love these potatoes. It's another recipe that you make a day or two ahead of time and bake, just to warm them through, on Thanksgiving day. They really are dreamy. Plus, they hold a lot of gravy. I love me some gravy.


Scalloped Potatoes from Simply Recipes
To me, scalloped potatoes are more a Christmas dish, but this recipe has bacon and Gruyere. That can never be wrong. Ever.


Turnip Gratin from The Pioneer Woman
Trust me. Have I ever steered you wrong? Even if you think you don't like turnips, you really might. Especially with Gruyere making an appearance again. The beauty of this, is that it's mostly made on the stove top and then put into the oven for only about 20 minutes or so. You can finish it off while the turkey rests. TADA!


Savory Mashed Root Vegetables
Believe it or not, my children love this recipe. And it's another dish cooked entirely on the stove top. Hurray for freeing up oven space! 


Roasted Acorn Squash with Chile Vinaigrette
I thought instead of the basic butter/brown sugar squash, we should try something a little different. A little zippier. A little spicier. 


Last, but not least, this recipe is from my incredibly gorgeous, incredibly talented friend, Janine. She's also funny as hell. 


Whipped Sweet Potato & Banana Souffle

5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
4 bananas, unpeeled
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
Kosher salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with 1 stick of the butter, and the honey. Season with salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon into an oven-proof serving bowl and smooth the top.

In a separate mixing bowl, use your fingers to rub together the remaining stick of butter, the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sweet potatoes and return to the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. 



That's it! I'm making the mashed potatoes and the souffle. And maybe the acorn squash..saving the gratin for Christmas, or maybe not. And I'm having the root veggies for dinner. 


Happy Wednesday! Pass the Flonase. 
xoxo
Erin

(forgive me if this post is all over the place. I think the meds have kicked in..zzzzzzzzzzz)

No comments:

Post a Comment