Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Timeline

Grab a cup of coffee or tea and a notepad. I'll wait. Or a glass of wine and a notepad. No judging. I'll wait. 

The first thing you need to do when planning out your thanksgiving timeline, is to decide when you want to eat. I prefer a later meal. The 1:30 Thanksgiving doesn't work for me. Naps get in the way ect. So we plan to eat around 4:00. It's my ideal time. I don't feel rushed and I don't feel the need to feed people a second dinner. Regardless of when you eat, just pick a time and stick to it. Here's what my Thanksgiving schedule for the next few days looks like:

Monday: (today!)
Make my shopping list. 

Tuesday:
Go grocery shopping.

Wednesday:
Buy flowers. 
Make Fresh Cranberry Relish (stick it in the fridge)
Make Delicious Creamy Mashed Potatoes (stick them in the fridge)
Make Salted Caramel Cheesecake Pie (stick the caramel and cheesecake SEPARATELY in the fridge)
Drink wine with husband in front of the fire

Thursday:
Wake up early. Not because I have to start cooking but because I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. 
First: Drink coffee!!!
Second: Take the Turkey and butter out of the fridge.
Third: Drink more coffee. 
Fourth: Have a mimosa
Fifth: Take the mashed potatoes out of the fridge
Six: Make the breadcrumbs for the Brussels (keep them in a dish on the counter when done)
Seventh: Pour the caramel on top of the cheesecake, cover and return to fridge. 
Eight: Sit down and watch the Parade. (All this can be done in an hour or so.)


11:00 am - make the Sage butter
11:30 am - prep the Turkey and make the stuffing (set the stuffing aside in a buttered casserole dish)
12:00/12:30 pm - put Turkey in the oven (set two timers: one for every 20 minutes when you'll be basting, and one with the cooking time)
2:30 pm - Lattice bacon over the bird. 
3:00 pm - make the Brussels. 
3:15 pm - put the Stuffing in the oven
3:30ish - take the bird out of the oven and put the mashed potatoes in. Make the gravy. 
4:00 - Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy your awesome dinner!!

Phew. Did I forget anything? Look around at the people sitting with you and give thanks. And smile. You kicked ass!

xoxo
Erin 



No comments:

Post a Comment