Friday, February 25, 2011

Old World Comfort Food - Sauerkraut and Pork


I've been drooling about this recipe over on Tasty Kitchen since I read about it in October.  I decided last night was the perfect night to try it. Oh my word. It was awesome. It reminded me of dinners at my Polish grandparents house. It just smelled like comfort. I honestly can't wait till we have it again tonight for dinner. And I might just have it for lunch too. I served over mashed baby red potatoes, skin on. 

This recipe is from PattioDaddio (otherwise known as John). Whose blog you can find here. Thanks PattioDaddio!!

Sauerkraut and Pork
  • 4 pounds Country-style Pork "ribs", Bone-in
  • 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
  • 3 cups Applesauce, No Sugar Added
  • 2 jars Sauerkraut, 32 Oz Each
  • 2 whole Medium Yellow Onions, Peeled And Quartered
  • Chicken Broth As Needed
  • Kosher Salt And Pepper
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Season the pork with salt (lightly) and pepper.
Heat your Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add and heat the oil, then add two or three of the pork pieces. You don’t want to crowd the pan, so work in batches.
Cook the pork until it is nicely browned on one side, about two minutes. Flip the pork over and cook another two minutes, or until the other side is nicely seared. Repeat with the remaining pork.
Turn off the heat, remove the pork to a plate, and set aside. Add the applesauce to the pan and stir to deglaze it.
Drain about half of the juice from the sauerkraut. Add it to the pan and stir to incorporate it with the applesauce.
Arrange the pork on top of the sauerkraut and applesauce mixture. It’s okay to sort of cram them in there if need be, but try to keep them from being completely submerged.
Arrange the onions on top of the pork.
Cover and bake at 325 degrees for an hour and a half.
Check the liquid content and add chicken stock if the top looks at all like it’s starting to get dry. You want to see the sauerkraut just barely under the surface of the liquid.
Cover and continue cooking another hour.
Uncover and cook another 30 minutes.
You can use this time to make your favorite plain mashed potatoes. Another option is to add chicken broth and make dumplings right on top.
Put a pile of mashed potatoes on a plate, make a well in it, ladle on a bunch of kraut and juice, and top with some of the tender pork and a wedge of onion.
Dive in!

My family circa 1981 - I'm the little one on my Great Grandma Anne's lap. My sister thinks I look scared (my ggma was 10,000 years old and only spoke Polish), I think I look pissed. All I know, is that my brother's outfit is a winner and my parents are only 4 years older than I am right now. Mind blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment