Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday Meal Planning (because I kept thinking yesterday was Sunday)

Monday:  This is my friend Joanna's recipe. It's outrageous. I changed it up a bit (based on what I had on hand) and noted my changes. We loved it!

Cheeky's Creamy Campanelle 

Ingredients:
1 Pound(s) campanelle or penne pasta ( I used Trader Joe's Egg Pappardelle - 2 bags is a lb)
1 Pound(s) casing removed chicken or pork sausage 
(I used roasted garlic chicken sausage and half a package of Trader Joe's chopped pancetta)
1 Tablespoon(s) olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes 
(I used a pinch of cayenne and about 2 tsp. of smoked paprika instead of the pepper flakes)
2 Clove(s) pressed garlic
4 - 8 minced shallot (I used 3)
1 Cup(s) dry white wine or chicken broth
2 Cup(s) light cream
1 Cup grated parmigiano-reggiano 
1 Cup shredded fontina
(I used about 1 cup of shredded gruyere and swiss instead of the fontina and parm)
1/2 Teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 Teaspoon(s) black pepper
fresh basil or fresh parsley
lemon zest

Directions:
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente.

Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing and cook in a nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large pieces, until no longer pink. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl, leaving fat in skillet. 
(I left the sausage and pancetta in the pan)

Add one tablespoon oil to skillet. Add garlic, shallots, and red pepper flakes then cook over medium-high heat until shallots start to caramelize. (I added the garlic, shallots and spices)

Return sausage to skillet along with cream, white wine, salt, and pepper and boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
(I de-glazed the pan with the wine and cooked it off a bit before adding in the cream and then put the cheese directly into the sauce)

Pour over pasta, then stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano and basil or parsley, and salt to taste. Finish with lemon zest and more Parmigiano-Reggiano

(this was supposed to be for last night but sometimes a girl changes her mind)


Thursday: Leftovers. Whoot!



Sunday: Leftovers. As we leave the next morning for Vacation, BABY!!!

If I'm feeling a little adventurous I might make this Sauerkraut and Pork recipe that I've been drooling over for some time instead of leftovers on Thursday. We shall see. 

Happy Meal Planning!

1 comment: